So, I received this book about 2 weeks ago... and I fell in love from the beginning. These women... these mothers, they spin art with their words and make me fall in love with being a mom again. They weep with you through the hard stuff, rejoice in the victories, and laugh with you over the messes. They speak right to my heart.
So I wanted to share a few of my favorites with you... and then I want to strongly encourage you to go buy a copy for yourself! You won't regret it... and the proceeds from the book support a wonderful cause... The Mercy House!
10 (of many) lines I highlighted in Mother Letters
1. "I bet nobody else loses their temper eight times before school starts." Mary CarverYes, Mary, someone else does... and it's me! And I'm thrilled to know that I am not alone! :)
2. "The laundry basket that is never empty--my basket is piled so full that you can't see the basket." Jessica TurnerI want to take a picture of my laundry basket right now and add it to the post, but that would take to long... but seriously, you can NOT see the basket, towels, shirts, etc hanging all over the edge!
3. "parenting with intention requires intention." Robin DanceSeriously, I know this in my head... but intention requires discipline and motivation and planning and consistency!!! And that is sooo hard! But I will keep working at it, thanks to the encouragement of other moms!
4. "I am learning that being a mother isn't about being perfect, but it is about trusting your instincts and making confident decisions." Heather Manifoldyeah, I'm not so good at letting go of perfection, or being confident in my decisions, but I am slowly learning that although I'm not perfect, I am the perfect mom for these kids... God and I are working together on this thing.
5. "Revel in the snuggles after dark that provide the chance to hear the softly spoken thoughts from the bottoms of their souls. Breath them in deeply." Kari ClarkSometimes I just want to punch out the time clock when it's their bedtime... but sometimes they need just one more hug from mom... one more reassurance that all is well... one more story they need to tell. And on a rare occasion, I get it right!
6. "Yet I find myself the mother to four little ones who, to my amazement, continually forgive me." Rachel McAdamsYes, Yes, Yes... a child's continual ability to forgive... even for the same thing over and over is amazing to me! Where do we let go of that and hang on to wrongs done to us? My kids are a wonderful example of forgiveness to me... just not always to each other! :)
7. "Isaiah 40:11 promises us, 'He tends his flock like a shepherd; he gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." "The God of the universe, The Master Creator,... whispers, 'Mom, I know it's hard, But I will lead you. And I will lead you gently'." Shannon LoweOh, some days it's so good to know that He is carrying me... and carrying my little ones... and gently leading me, each step of the way!! Thank you, Jesus!
8. "Enjoy every single moment. The good, the bad, the beautiful, the ugly, the inspiring, the not-so-glamorous moments. And thank God through it all." Meghan MattI am learning to thank God through it all... maybe not in the middle of the ugly moments, but to look back and appreciate their part in the tapestry of our lives.
9. "instead of making 'to-do' lists we should make 'people to love' lists. Nearly everything we do affects someone." Brooke BrudererOh, this is good advice! Who cares if my laundry gets folded... if I have failed to LOVE my kids!!
10. "When we serve and love our children, we also serve and love our God. The trials of motherhood are not only opportunities to train our children, but they are opportunities to grow in the Lord as well." Amber OliverEvery day, I have to remind myself that I am not reading books to my kids, folding laundry for my family, scrubbing toilets for the company, making meals for my husband... I am doing these things FOR God and to God.
Oh, there is so much more than just these ten points... I had to limit myself, so I can link up to Top Ten Tuesday! :) This book was such a joy to read... and it includes some great mom-submitted photos that will make you laugh and cry... :)
So, go check it out... you don't want to miss it!
Happy Belated Mother's Day to all the great moms out there!!