Friday, January 11

Five Minute Friday: Dive

Five Minute FridayStart:

I tried this morning. I tried to dive right in to fiction writing. I thought I could combine my writing assignment for my Creative Writing class with my Five Minute Friday prompt. And so I tried.

But my assignment for class is fiction. And I have written a total of TWO fiction essays in my entire life (and one of those was for Tuesday's assignment).

The Assignment: A Flash Fiction story with three characters... it needs a setting, a dialogue, etc.

The Five Minute Friday prompt: Dive  

And I thought, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives; and I knew I had my setting for my flash fiction.

Problem was I couldn't get my story out in Five minutes. I couldn't even think straight with the timer ticking away. I knew what I wanted to say. I knew the story line I wanted to portray. I even had an ending in mind, but I just couldn't come up with any dialogue.  Just description and more description; and scene does not a story make.

So the tension is this. How do I write this story?  I have dived headlong into continuing my education. I've chosen to jump out of my comfort zone and stretch myself in new ways... and I'm floundering.  I had a great plan for Five Minute Friday and a story about a couple at a "Dive" and it fell flat.

Say a prayer for me as you read this post that I can get my story out before the end of the day! :)

and then look for my attempt at fiction to show up on the blog sometime next week... I'm thinking a Wednesday Writings day for my blog!

STOP

There you have it: my third attempt at five minutes today!
and if you are feeling very adventurous (and you haven't done so already), run over to Lisa-Jo's and do your own five minutes on DIVE ... and check out all the other great writers that came up with something amazing in five minutes!

7 comments:

  1. I hope you got your story written on time! Your post is exactly what 5 Minute Friday is about: 5 minutes of stream-of-consciousness writing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! You are the only one I've seen with this take on dive. You've got the hardest part done. May the inspiration of Guy Fieri give your words flames like those on his kitchen aid and the white hot flash of something like his hair. Oh well, that analogy just completely fell apart on me. Just don't look backwards like the way he wears his sunglasses on the back of his head. :) (Hope I've given you a smile and a brief break, friend. You've got this!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now I'm intrigued by your story. I'm also a mom of four who is back in school. This semester I'm taking Psychology, but I have my Creative Writing: Fiction course all picked out for the fall. Not something I've done often, but it sounds like so much fun!

    Those five minutes just fly by. This was my first week trying it, and it was a lot harder than I expected. I enjoyed a peek into your creative process. It's strangely comforting to hear about the trials and tribulations too, not just see the polished end product.

    Hope the rest comes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a honest heart, thank you! I have the flu and also battled today. Waiting for Wednesday.
    Hugs XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep at it!!! I am right there with you with writing fiction. I can write about my family and my heart until the cows come home...but making up a story. Nope. Even my kids will tell you that I stink at making up stories : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember my love the struggle is part of the journey. Enjoy your dive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so awesome! I love your honesty and your attempts at multi-tasking. I hope you have a great weekend and that you get a lot done of whatever you are working on. I'm praying for you and your crazy, busy life. Just remember - you ROCK!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to reply to your comments, but I can't unless you have an email available in your profile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...