Thursday, January 26

Big bay window

I hesitate to even post this window treatment idea. It's not anything extravagant, and probably not original, but just maybe, some one can benefit from this idea.



When we moved into this house a year and a half ago, there was not a single window treatment to be found... Not even a single curtain rod or hardware piece floating around. Completely bare!! (is that normal? ...we don't own the house) Even now, only a smattering of windows have received decoration. Partly because we live in the middle of no where so nobody is peeking in, partly because they all have plain blinds, partly because I want them to be nice (if I can't do it perfect, I'd rather not do it), partly because it is NOT cheap to decorate your windows.  So I am really looking forward to The CSI Project's theme this week. I can't wait to see some of the great ideas others have done, that might inspire me to finish off our bare windows!!

(this was Christmas a year ago before we did anything to the windows)

Our first (and basically only) window in the house to get some "treatment" was the huge bay window in the front of the house.  I was a little overwhelmed looking at it and was content enough to just leave it alone, but my sweet husband wanted something.

So we worked together brainstorming what we wanted and what would look nice and then the hard part became execution.  Do you know how hard it is to find something for a window that is approximately 10 feet wide and 4 feet long?!?!? 

After many hours of laborious research I figured out that I should Google "Window SCARF" instead of "curtains"... lots of great ideas popped up, but still the longest scarf I could find was 216 inches long; so if you want some swag going on and want it to cascade down the sides of the windows, 216 inches isn't going to cut it. and then the whole struggle of how it's going to connect in the middle without completely falling apart, because originally we were looking at holding it up with sconce type things on the corners.  Because do you know how hard it is to find a NICE attractive curtain rod that is 10 feet long?!??! 

Well, I am happy to report that on a fluke, we were at a friend's house for dinner when I saw a LONG curtain rod... that I liked!!  Immediately I asked where they got it and we hightailed it to Home Depot shortly there after, where we found this beautiful rod...  Then I found these window scarves at Walmart, and bought two...  and then I brought them home and let my hubby work some magic. It took us all afternoon, and I don't even know if I can explain how we did it.


But basically, one is tucked in around the corner of the rod, and then draped around the middle and looped to hang off the other end.  And then we did the same thing the other direction. So it looks like a super long scarf, but it's not.
not a great picture, but maybe you can see it...

Then this fall, my sweet hubby bought some patio lights for decoration from Target (I think they are discontinued, I can't find them online) and looped them up behind the curtains... They are so pretty and I love driving in at night and seeing them and they create some nice atmosphere in our living room in the evenings!!
So, it might not win any CSI awards, but it sure makes me happy!!

Go check out all the other great window treatment ideas, here...

Visit thecsiproject.com

4 comments:

  1. Nice! I always love lights inside, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I would kill to have that much of a window to deal with! We have big windows in the living room, but they're weird, so, not really that much light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very lovely idea. Big windows are good, but sometimes there's so much to work with! It's good to gather several ideas and find a treatment that would fit with the windows and the room around it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to reply to your comments, but I can't unless you have an email available in your profile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...