Tuesday, March 13

Where I'm from

The more I write, the more I think about the why I write.  To figure out where I'm going, I have to ponder where I'm coming from.  Ann Voskamp nailed it for me this week when she asked, "Where you from, friend?" So I answered.  and then I elaborated with help from this little sheet.   Join me as I take a little trip down memory lane...


I am from a wood burning stove and no television.  I'm from the the white house with a yard full of pine trees in the front and Two apple trees, one pear tree, and more pine trees in the back.

I am from singing church songs all the way to and from church. I am from a house of all sisters and the mantra "Let Sisterly Love Continue."  


I'm from the great field in the back, from the little creek with water spiders, from sledding down the hills and hoping you don't land in the creek.

from singing with my sisters, silly songs, church songs, ...special music!

I am from a week in the summer spent at Alleghany State Park,
from playing Clue as if your life depended on it.

I am from a pastor's home... from the "held to a higher standard just because of my dad's job." I am from playing the part and putting on your church face. I am from Sunday School every Sunday and prayer meeting every Wednesday. I am from the King James Bible.

I am from Sword Drills, and Christmas plays, and teen activities.

I’m from reading the Christmas story before presents and eating Monkey bread and scrambled eggs after.

I am from remote control cars, and climbing trees and riding bikes, and playing soccer and being a tomboy. 

I’m from the rod of correction and "Speaking in CAPITAL LETTERS."
and singing "Every Promise in the Book is Mine," 

from peanut butter and jelly crackers for snacks and tacos for dinners. I am from books and more books and Friday nights spent at the library.

I am from Hyperthyroidism, radioactive iodine treatment, and subsequent hypothyroidism.

I am from Buffalo, NY and never really enjoying cold and snow. and now the mountains of Pennsylvania embrace me.

I'm from speedy typing and proofreading everything and hating phones, and still being a secretary.

I am from birthing 4 kids in 4 1/2 years (no twins), and being crowded in a 2 bedroom trailer with my growing family. I am from learning patience and letting go of perfection.

I am from mistakes and grace and second chances. I am from doubts and then I John 5:13-15 "these things are written that you may KNOW that you have eternal life."  I am from giving thanks and counting gifts.

I'm from this home with the Red Door!

I am from creativity and artwork, although not enjoying just plain coloring. I am from learning and writing, from embracing God's gifts to me.



I want to know, Where are YOU from?

6 comments:

  1. I am from Maine and Oklahoma. I'm from church of Christ and front row Baptists. (Interesting mix, yes?) I'm from country roads and city streets, from rock bound coast of Maine to the sandy beaches of Mexico. I'm from flat vowels and long drawls. From crashing waves and scary twisting clouds. From disappointment, despair, rejection and redemption! I'm from grace! And it's very nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I absolutely LOVE these!! such a tender glimpse at people's life. Yours is just beautiful!

    In case you would be interested, I've done one too :)

    http://pohlkottepress.blogspot.com/2011/11/from-whence-i-came.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! Such fond memories and it encapsules you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, a beautiful picture. Loved it. Let's see, a comment sized post... I'm from a sugar-coated childhood of Pollyanna and perfection. I'm from rainy days, rebellion, and it's consequences. I'm from California sunshine, 2nd chances, and new mercies. I'm from sweet surrender. Hmmm, I may have to elaborate on the blog. :) Blessed by my visit here today! So nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I surely hope you are starting your book- Your post made me cry and I'm at the library, of course. I could never do this, just letters for me and plain coloring -yes!! <3 and your Dad wanted to write a book forever... I love you-call me sometime when your free...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved it!! Made me laugh out loud and get teary-eyed! and remember, every Promise in the Book is still yours! love you much! Jen

    ReplyDelete

I would love to reply to your comments, but I can't unless you have an email available in your profile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...